[aubio-user] Offset detection

Paul Brossier piem at piem.org
Sat Jan 4 14:33:21 CET 2014

On 04/01/2014 06:00, Lukasz Tracewski wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Aubio has a plethora of great onset detection methods. How about offset
> detection? I can imagine that running algorithm on reverse-ordered data
> should provide me with offsets, but maybe there is a smarter approach
> that I am missing.

Hi Lukasz,

There is no offset detection method in aubio (yet). The onset detection
functions will sometimes peak during the transient sound created by the
release of a note, but these peaks are expected be small compared to the
ones produced by note onsets.

So far, offsets times are assumed to be where the level of the signal
drops under a given threshold. aubionotes for instance uses a simple
silence gate to determine the end of notes.

What kind of offsets are you looking at? Do you have a specific
algorithm in mind?

There is the work of Emmanouil Benetos and Simon Dixon, who use a Hidden
Markov Model to determine whether a pitch track is active or not:

http://www.eecs.qmul.ac.uk/~simond/pub/2011/Benetos-Dixon-ICASSP2011.pdf

Best, Paul