[aubio-user] Doubt about pitch in non periodic region

Paul Brossier piem at piem.org
Fri Nov 18 13:16:47 CET 2016

Hello Tanmayee,

Thanks for the pointers to these two articles.

For now, aubiopitch does output "0." when no pitch was detected, which
could be for one or more of the following reasons:
 - the energy of the current window is under the given silence threshold,
 - a pitch was detected but with a confidence under the given confidence
threshold,
 - a pitch was detected, but found outside of the expected range of
pitch values.

aubiopitch should never output -1.

For voice/unvoiced detection, you might be interested to look at the
value of the confidence (only available for yinfft and yin for now). If
the confidence drops under a given threshold, the current window of
analysis is very likely to be unvoiced.

Also, have a look at `demo_pitch.py` in the `python/demos` folder, which
draws a plot for both pitch and confidence values. You will want to
experiment changing the parameters at the beginning of this script.

Let us know how this works for you. And if you write a publication using
aubio, or if you find other publications, you are very welcome to
mention it on this list!

Best wishes, Paul