gcc compiler options on MAC OSX

Paul Brossier piem at altern.org
Thu Aug 17 14:00:11 CEST 2006

Hi Ed,

Thanks for your report.

On Tue, Aug 15, 2006 at 03:11:53PM +0100, Ed Kelly wrote:
> Hi Paul,
>
> I'm having some problems building the aubio pd
> externals on Mac OSX. I had to set PKG_CONFIG_PATH
> environment variables for the sources for libsndfile,
> libsamplerate and fftw3 manually, then the
> libtoolkludge passes a couple of unrecognized options
> to gcc and ld.

I think the pkg-config issue as a bug in pkg-config, or maybe a missing
compilation flag to it. If package descriptions get installed by default
in some location, then pkg-config should look for them in that location
by default. There is not much we could do in aubio to solve it anyway.

> gcc -shared option is not supported in Apple's gcc
> 3.3, and ld -export_dynamic does not work either. the
> first is documented here:
> http://developer.apple.com/documentation/DeveloperTools/gcc-3.3/gcc/Link-Options.html
> but
> I cannot find documentation on the ld option
> -export_dynamic.

Yes, the PD plugin lacks the correct command line to create the external
on OS X. Reading other external Makefiles, it seems the following
command should create aubio.pd_darwin correctly:

  gcc -bundle -undefined suppress -flat_namespace -o aubio.pd_darwin *.o

or:

  gcc -bundle -bundle_loader <path_to_PD> -flat_namespace -o aubio.pd_darwin *.o

See also http://lists.puredata.info/pipermail/pd-dev/2003-05/001238.html

I don't have access to a OS X at the moment. Let us know if this works for you!

Thanks, Paul